My mom was taken ill in early May. She was in the hospital for a while. When she came home we tried to see how it would go without full time care giving, but, it was apparent after a while that she couldn't really be alone. So, to keep her safe, happy and alert, present in the reality of the day (probably should be up front - she has dementia) I took early retirement in September. Financially I couldn't afford a full-time caring giver without signing over my whole pay check so I thought, I'll be her provider. She knows and trusts me so my choices were easy. What wasn't easy was leaving a job that I loved and had for more then half my life - almost 30 years. So that has changed my diet and some of my activities...my path is narrower these days and instead of being high raw vegan...I'm about 65% raw. The remaining 35% is made up of cooked grains. Yes, not the worst thing but I can tell in myself that a change has occurred. Also, I can't do full time everything organic from Whole paycheck (also know as Whole Foods) Those trips now are for luxury and special treats...I'm scrubbing and rubbing my vegetables very much. Trying to eat more seasonally - observing some macrobiotic practices as far as that goes. I can't afford to do my own almond mylk anymore but hemp mylk is sweet and cheap. And until my garden goes down for the winter - I still have plenty of greens to chew on. Nothing like picking your own kale, collard, chard for lunch and smoothies and salads...that is one joy I still have. Next year - I will plan more accordingly to plant for items that can be stored better.
|So, come a dare to share a happy meal.|
I'm doing Raw Balance over at Raw Rehab...those kids are so energetic...Dara and her boys and Penni is adorable in her caps of many colors and angles. Go to Raw Balance: http://rawbalance.ning.com/ check it out.