contemplation of

trying to find as many varieties of kale to plant

Saturday, May 14, 2011

back in a flash

Yep been gone a while.  My sister visited me in
April for about a week.  We had rain every day but one.  Can't say it was the best of times for the weather but we made the best of it.  We played scrabble, worked on vision boards and drank green juices and smoothies.  After she left I had that period of adjustment.  Getting the place back into the mess it was before she left, kidding.  But there is always a period of adjust after someone leaves.  First there is that absence and then there is that void and then it's back to work.  Had a lot to catch up with and when I'd come home at night it was just another evening of getting ready for the next day. 

But now that things have returned to what we sometimes refer to as "normal" I thought better get back to the blogger's'sphere. 

What have I been doing in the meantime.  I was liquid feasting for two weeks.  The first and part of the second were spent on juicing.  I'll put up a blog soon with some of my creations.  The second part of the second week became a not just juice feast because my juicer decided it had enough of giving me a gallon of juice each day.  It's my own fault.  It overheated and even though they are suppose to reset themselve - mine did not.  I should have stopped to clean it but...I didn't.  So I broke the bank and got a new one.  Now I'm back to juicing 3 out of  my 4 meals per day.  The main "chew" meal is a lovely salad of one type or another.  Lately it's been kelp because I have it and the greens in my local Whole Foods are not organic. They are having a hard time getting organic greens for some reason. 

Other big news I catered my first raw luncheon.  So I will be posting about this today.
The full view of the table as presented to the Library Committee at the School of the Art Institute, Flaxman Library,

12 May 2011

The beverage was a cool green tea (Yogi Kombucha) - lovely and mild.  It did not interfere with the taste but provided a delicate background to the meal.

The main course was a Spricy Kelp (all recipes are from Ani Phyo's Asian cooking)
Spicy Mixed Vegetable Noodles (p 200):

Sauce:
one quantity of Gochujang Sauce (p 225)
2.5 tablespoons unpasteurized miso
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup agave syrup
1/2 red chile flakes (Ani suggests Korean chile powder - but I substituted)
 -----
mixed the above ingredients and to that add:
1 tablespoon Nama Shoyu
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (I used a whole since I like garlic)
Whisk all together

Noodles
4 cups kelp noodels
( soaked mine in warm lemon water for an hour)

Toppings
1 cup cored (I did not peel) asian pear
1 cup julienned cucumber (I used an English cucumber so no seeding or peeling required)
2 cups of sliced thinnly Napa Cabbage (Ani suggests romaine leaves)

Add noodles to sauce and toss to mixed well.  (Tongs really help.)
Add toppings and mixed to incorporate.

Plate on individual bowl.
I topped mine with sunflowers sprouts and dulse flakes.

Side dishes were

Cucumber Namul (p 99):

3 cups of thinnly slice cucumbers

1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 tablesppon crushed sesame seeds (I used a combination of both while and black)
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon finely chopped scallion
1 teaspoon agave syrup
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic (I used a whole for that extra taste)
1/4 teaspoon chile flakes (I used 1/2 and Ani suggests Korean chile flakes)

In a bowl, place cucumber slices and sprinkle with salt.  Set aside for 30 minutes to soften and release water.  Squeeze out excess liquid by hand. (This is an important step do not skip or you will end up with a watery dish) Place cucumbers into a clean mixing bowl with remaining ingredients.  Use your hands to mix well if need be.

The last side but prettiest part was the Mixed vegetable skewers with almond butter sauce (p 117):

Skewers:
1/2 cup cubed red bell pepper
1/2 bite size pieces of cauliflower (I used an green cauliflower which added color)
1/2 cup sliced green beans (I used sugar snap and peapods)
1/2 cup sliced baby zucchini (if you can't find these, cube a regular sized one)
1/2 cup cubed pineapple
1/2 cup whole white or cremini mushrooms (try and find the smallest, will make life easier)

Marinade:
One batch of sesame romaine salad dressing:

3 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon Nama Shoyu
1 tablespoon agave syrup
1/2 teaspoon chile flakes (Ani suggests Korean chile pepper)

Mix all in a bowl. 

Place the skewer ingredients in marinade for 20 to 30 minutes. Then, assemble and evely disgtribute the items on a wooden skewer. Serve with almond butter sauce. (below)

Almond Butter Sauce

1/2 cup almond butter
1/3 cup freshly squeeze lemon juice
3 tablespoons liquid coconut oil
3 tablespoons coconut aminos (Ani suggests Bragg Liquid Aminos)

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend to mix well.  I also used coconut water to thin this out a little since I added more almond butter so it was really thick.  Also of note, this is really tasty.  If there is any left over you can thin it and use it as a dressing for a bitter greens type salad. 

For dessert I served a simple cut up watermelon.  It was refreshing and cleansing to the palatte.

This post is written with the encourage and support of my RFR friend Angie. The inspirational nudge to my sister Christyna and in thoughts and prayers to my friend Doro who missed our feast but was toasted to in health and God speed.  LOVE you all.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks H!! You are so encouraging and you're always there. So glad we're friends. xoxo Much love.

    ReplyDelete